Instructions for Extraction Visits
- Some bleeding is to be expected following extractions. Have your child bite on gauze for half an hour.
- Do not spit forcefully and avoid using a straw for 24 hours.
- Discolored (red or pink) saliva maybe apparent for 12-24 hours.
- Gently clean and brush the teeth and around the extraction site.
- Eat and drink on the opposite side of the mouth for 24 hours. Encourage liquid consumption and soft to normal diet as tolerated. Avoid anything too hot (tea, hot soup, hot cereals, etc) or too spicy for the rest of the day.
- If necessary, Acetaminophen (Tylenol) may be taken for pain. Follow directions on the package for the correct dose.
- Slight swelling is common following extractions. If some swelling does, occur, apply an ice bag or towel filled with cracked ice on the affected area, ten minutes on and off for 2-3 hours.
- In case of continuing pain, uncontrolled bleeding, rapid swelling, or anything else that concerns you about the extraction, please contact us at 972-987-0787.